Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ceylon Popisai

As as kid, I didn't know about the Beatles or for that matter any rock music band. I couldn't probably differentiate between classical, rock, jazz and all the genres of music. One particular kind of music always interested me at that point of time also.... Ceylon Popisai (Well I came to know the name much much later). The music used to be very catchy and the lyrics very funny. Take a shot at the below one.

Chorus: Dimsidimale dimidimale ulagam pora pokka paru thangamaethillale (3)

Verse 1: I have a beautiful wife, but I am sick and tired of life, wherever I go with her she falls in love with the next door man

Chorus: Dimsidimale dimidimale ulagam pora pokka paru thangamaethillale (3)

Verse 2: Children Children every year, I dont know what to do, country rice and for sample .. a piece of karuwadu 

Chorus: Dimsidimale dimidimale ulagam pora pokka paru thangamaethillale (3)

Verse3: Children eleven in number, a cricket team ok, when I asked my wife ... she said ".. the umpire is on the way"
Chorus: Dimsidimale dimidimale ulagam pora pokka paru thangamaethillale (3)

Verse 4: My wife so ambitious, she wants a clutch of 15, even now she looks at me ..... but I am not very keen ... 

Chorus: Dimsidimale dimidimale ulagam pora pokka paru thangamaethillale (3)

Verse 5: That is all


A bit of background on Ceylon Popisai. Around the 1960's a lot of Srilankan tamil and sinhala students used to come to Madras to study. They brought with them Ceylon Popisai and the dance form 'Baila'. As those were times of very traditional and melodious music, these non-traditional group songs caught the fancy of the youngsters and was very popular at that point of time (And since my father also belongs to that generation of student community, a cassette of these songs also ended up in my house :)).

Well the most popular and well know song in this genre of music certainly is the Surangani one and if you didn't know the song is about a fishmonger selling rotten fish :)

Surangini, Surangini 
Suranganika malukana wa
malu malu
Suranganika malu
Suranganika malukana wa




And the introduction of the same song to Tamil film music



We used to have a lot of fun in school singing this song although I never knew at that time it was a sinhalese song :) . Well language doesn't matter and only the fun matters right :).


Surangini, Surangini 
Suranganika malukana wa
malu malu
Suranganika malu
Suranganika malukana wa

Ghumtalakadi Ghummava.... Blogging na summa va..... :)

P.S. Karuwadu is for dried fish.
       All videos posted are from youtube.
       The background of these songs is as re-told to me by my father.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails